Friday 28 November 2008

Principles of Legal Writing

Never use one word where ten will do.

Never use a small word where a big one will do...suffice.

Never use a simple statement where it appears that one substantially greater complexity will achieve similar goals.

Never use plain English where Latin 'mutatis mutandis' will do.

Qualify virtually everything.

Do not be embarassed about repeating yourself.

Do not be embarassed about repeating yourself.

Do not be embarassed about repeating yourself.

Worry about the difference between 'which' and 'that'.

Never refer to one's opponent's 'argument'. He make's 'assertions' and they are always 'bold'.
If a layperson can read a document from beginning to end without falling asleep...it needs work.

Today I was working on an employment dispute case that I am going to present tomorrow. I was really surprised by the fact that I made my own coffee and I was drinking it while scribbling my defense for the next day hearing. I used to shun the thoughts of big, fat, lawyers drinking coffee as a totally unhealthy mix-up. But now im a convert, I started liking my coffee while working on my computer. Hmmm very bad indeed.

No comments: